Friday, August 21, 2009

One problem down, two remaining.

So I think I have found myself an apartment. Actually, it's a room in a houseshare. Which was hugely concerning to me for various reasons. I had initially found a studio apartment near the university, but when I went to actually look at it it was on the ground floor, and had two exterior doors that were mostly glass, which was terrifying, as well as having an enormous water stain on the ceiling. And then I spoke to them about it and the tenant isn't leaving until October, which clearly isn't going to do. And all the other self-contained apartments I found were much too expensive, so that was over before it even began.

So I started looking at houseshares. And houseshares are hugely worrying to me for a lot of reasons, but mostly because you don't get to pick your roommates, and I could end up with a houseful of party types who bring their drunk friends home every other night, and obviously I would have no choice but to kill them all and bury their bodies in the basement, or break my contract and move into one of the abandoned houses in the woods. But I can't afford self-contained apartments, apparently, and I have to have somewhere to live, at least until I get my work visa and can find a real job and maybe move to a smaller town. So I made an appointment for yesterday to look at the most promising houseshare, which said that it was cleaned every week by a professional. At least, I thought to myself, if my housemates spend all weekend puking in the shower, I won't have to be the one to clean it up.

So I met with the realtor yesterday to see the house, and oh my goodness, it's gorgeous. Hardwood floors and a newly remodelled kitchen and a Jacuzzi tub. And the room I would be renting has stained glass windows and an amazing view of the city. Basically, the realtor walked me through it, and I said "I would like to go back to your office right this minute and begin the application process." So all that was left before I can apply was to meet with the landlady and see if she approves of me, which is what I did today.

The situation is totally perfect for me. Apparently the landlady is very particular about meeting with her tenants before letting them apply because she is looking specifically for quiet people who can follow the house rules like doing washing up immediately and keeping things put away. She said that she was very clear to all her tenants about this not being a party house (which was a concern I had voiced, because drinking is such a cultural thing here), and given how nicely it's maintained, it obviously isn't. The atmosphere is supposed to be quiet - people can go out drinking, but they cannot bring drunk friends home or anything like that. She approves of me, obviously, so I've started the application process and hopefully I should get the room.

Now, I just have to worry about the dissertation and finding myself a part-time job.

No comments: