Saturday, December 13, 2008

Staying at school over the holidays = not cool

It's now winter break, and all the food places on campus are closed. The only thing open was the cafe by my dorm, and it wasn't selling sandwiches today, just coffee and freetrade chocolate. I'm used to just buying a sandwich or something when I get hungry, so I only keep snacks in my room (cereal, NutriGrain bars, oranges). I went into town for the day so there would be food around when I got hungry.

I spent most of the day trying to keep myself occupied - if I just went into town and bought hot food and went back to campus, it would get all cold and gross by the time I felt like eating it. (This is what happens to you when you spend two months only buying food when you get hungry - the idea of planning ahead is bizarre and perplexing.) So I hung around until dinnertime.

First, I learned that it is impossible to get lost. I decided I would wander around, even though it was light out and I am a night wanderer, so I walked to a section of the city I hadn't been to yet, but I kept reemerging in familiar areas. That only killed off about 2 hours.

Then, I thought I would go to the cathedral and do some sketches of the exterior sculptures to use in my drawings later. I learned that if you are close enough to see the details, there is nowhere to sit, and if you move back to the wall, you can't see well enough to draw anything. I am sitting on the wall riffling through my sketchbook and sulking, when something hits me in the middle of the back. I have been befriended by a tabby cat, which is now annoyed that I am not paying attention to it. I had no idea the cathedral area had a cat. My dorm area does, a tuxedo cat with a neon yellow collar, but that one isn't quite so insistent.

About 3 hours in, I get bored and wander into Primark, where I find a bra in my size. This is a minor miracle, as I am a 34E and usually have to settle for 36DDs.

After 4 hours of struggling through the crowds, I decide I have had enough and buy a sandwich from a street vendor and head back to school. On the way back I remember that today is my mother's birthday.

No comments: