Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Return of the Book Man

I've been having a terrible week. I won't go into specifics right now because I just don't have the energy, but it's really been bad. Normally, when I am having a terrible time, I buy books. (I buy books all the time, of course, but especially when I'm having a terrible time.) I managed to avoid the campus Blackwell's, but I took a shortcut through the student guild hall and the Book Man was there again. I gave in to the inevitable, wandered around a bit, and chose a medieval history book (I came to the conclusion about a week ago that I will probably end up in Medieval Studies, and I should stop fighting it with Egyptology classes). I bought that, figuring at least it was cheaper than a new book, and the Book Man said to me, "You were the one that bought that big book on William the Conqueror a few weeks ago, aren't you? Are you enjoying it?"

And I was rather freaked out. For a brief moment I had the impression that no one else could see the Book Man, and he was sent here specifically to lead me straight into temptation, to the point where I will be unable to drag my suitcases down the stairs when I go. But then I realized that students eyeing the books for 20 minutes or more with expressions of conflicted desperation are probably not that normal.

Current book count: 38.

No comments: