Monday, April 21, 2008

Houseplants

A while ago I got a raspberry cane to keep my aloe plant company and this pushed the balance of houseplants in the sunroom over and out of my favor. Before, my mother had one plant and I had one plant, but now that I have two and she still only has one, she figures I can handle all three. The problem is that hers is a 10-year-old, 3 foot tall geranium in a pot about 9 inches in diameter. I am afraid for it. Until I started taking care of it it stayed about the same size, but now it keeps shooting off more tendrils, probably because I pay more attention to it than my mother did. But if I cut back on its watering schedule to the one she used to use, it gets mad and starts turning red. I really don't know anything about plants, but I think at this point I am supposed to either take a cutting and reroot it, or repot the whole thing in a pot of a more appropriate size (probably about 18" across, at least.) I really have no idea, but I feel compelled to do something so that my mother will take care of my raspberry and aloe plants while I'm away. I don't think she'd feel all that obligated to take care of them if I let the geranium die.

The reason I am talking about this is because my unconditional acceptance letter came today, so even though I am convinced that the original acceptance letter dropped out of the Twilight Zone, I appear to be stuck there permanently. I have insomnia and semi-permanent nausea and last night I drank about twice as much absinthe as I normally do and watched a couple of British movies I would never go near in a normal state and then woke up to find I was stricken with a Ninja Period and had to do laundry. Houseplants are about all I can handle right now.

No comments: