Saturday, September 27, 2008

Packing List

So, I'm supposed to leave in three and a half hours (seven hours early for my flight - I do acknowledge that you should leave a lot of extra time for international flights, and that this new airport, which I've never been to, is scary to drive to - but still, my mother is insane) and I thought I would update this before I go.

What I'm apparently doing is flying from here into Ireland, going through customs there, and then flying on to England, where the school will retrieve me from the airport (good, because jetlag makes me cranky, irrational and totally unable to understand train schedules. Plus, I have this luggage.) Anyway, this Ireland thing seemed like a good idea in June when we were making reservations, particularly considering how much more a direct flight cost, but now I'm beginning to not be so pleased with it. The problem is that I think I have to uncheck my luggage, drag it through customs, then recheck it. I do have a long enough stopover to do this, but I'm feeling less than enthusiastic about it (jetlag = cranky). I'd really be more than okay with them rifling through my stuff without me, as long as I don't have to haul it around a strange airport and then wait in line to give it back, but unfortunately I don't get to make these decisions.

Anyway, I most probably won't update again until at least Monday, since by the time I get to school on Sunday I'll probably just do a faceplant on the bed. (The school has some kind of party on Sunday night for international students, even though we all have to arrive that day for them to pick us up. It is to laugh.)

Also, I will now share my packing list (with commentary!) It's going to reveal how horribly spoiled I am. I won't even try to defend myself. It's also broken into rough categories for your convenience, even though I suspect it's totally useless to everyone who isn't me.

Packing List

Bathroom:
  • Sudafed and Aleve (if these two things can't fix me, I know to go to the doctor - and I think they are controlled over there)
  • DivaCup
  • toothbrush/paste, floss
  • contact lenses/saline solution (I was warned that saline solution is obscenely expensive over there)
  • glasses
  • makeup/nails
  • razor
  • bathrobe
  • vitamins
  • hair towel
  • handmirror
  • retainer (I still have to wear it a few times a month. It sucks.)

Accessories:
  • earrings
  • heels
  • running clothes/shoes
  • shower shoes (NOOOO! I thought I was done with this!)
  • scarf, hat, gloves
  • raincoat (when the Californians warned me about the terrible cold, I knew to laugh at them. When the British warned me that an umbrella doesn't always help because the wind will blow all the rain under it and soak you anyway, I figured I should take them seriously.)
  • sewing kit
  • hair accessories
  • purse (and this was when I realized I didn't own one)
  • messenger bag
  • thick socks (instead of slippers, which I never wear)
  • watch/rings/necklaces

Carry-on:
  • underwear, shirt, socks, deodorant, soap (In case my luggage is lost)
  • USC diploma, transcripts, extra passport photos (wacky things the school asked me to bring for no discernible reason)
  • Handbook For Clueless International Students (which the school sent)
  • International Student ID Card (is also a calling card and travel insurance)
  • British money
  • driver's license
  • umbrella
  • fleece jacket (which I borrowed from NephthysWrath when her family took me to New York last weekend, and intended to return, until her mother bequeathed it to me)
  • books (I seem to be down to ten, so not all of them will be in the carry-on, obviously)
  • markers and tiny fuzzy posters (which NephthysWrath gave me last night to amuse myself with on the plane)
  • finger puppets (which another friend gave me ages ago to amuse myself with on the rides to and from California)
  • coat (it's too big to pack and would take up half a suitcase, so I'll just carry it along)

Electronics:
(Obviously, some of these will be in the carry-on)
  • laptop
  • USB hub
  • external hard drive
  • portable DVD player
  • MP3 player
  • digital camera
  • router (my dad has firewall paranoia; I find it best not to argue and just drag the thing along)
  • surge protector
  • microphone (for Skype)
  • adapter
  • converter
  • clock radio
  • cell phone and charger (it doesn't work over there, but it does make a good emergency alarm clock)

Bedroom:
  • Photos and postcards
  • Cross-stitching (you have to have something to do that has nothing to do with your major, so going through the library's history books is no longer an option)
  • pajamas
  • cookbooks (vegetarian, and with very simple instructions)
  • stuffed animal (I brought Procyon the puppy when I realized Regulus the lion was going to take up too much luggage space. Yes, I do amuse myself.)
  • clothes (wow, was that the least helpful item on the entire list?)
  • journal
  • cinnamon tea (I'm pretty sure England has tea, but this is the only kind I can stand to drink hot)
  • map
  • sarong (I did not pack this because I can't find it, but I firmly believe that everyone should pack a sarong)
  • bathing suit
  • laundry bag
  • pirate flag
So, there you are. I hope the curiosity wasn't killing you or anything. I'm also bringing two suitcases. NephthysWrath packed the first one for me because she can fold and I cannot, and she darn near got it down to one suitcase, but it was five pounds overweight and I wasn't quite done yet, so it was better to split it into two. (Plus, whenever I do come home, if I don't bring about 20 pounds of chocolate for my mother, she won't let me back in the house and will simply leave me at the airport. Therefore, I need to have extra suitcase space. You only think I'm exaggerating for dramatic effect.)

Right. Assuming I don't have catastrophic technical difficulties, I will see you all on Monday.

1 comment:

December said...

I love how you have a pirate flag on your packing list.

Have a safe flight!