Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Don't Tell The University I'm Hiding In Here

I don't have anything related to classes until Monday, apparently. However, the university has evidently decided that the best way to keep their internationals from having meltdowns is to keep us too busy to sit down, start thinking about things, and freak out, so they've given us a little booklet full of things to do, marked by things we absolutely have to do, things we really should do, and things that might be fun. (This is actually a brilliant idea, and exactly what we used to do when I was working as a camp counselor - keep the kids completely occupied until they pass out, exhausted, at bedtime, and that way there's less crying.) They're also really, really big on us joining several of their millions of societies and seem to generally disapprove of us staying in our rooms doing nothing but study. I'm doing my best, but I can only take social interaction for so long. Today everyone is supposed to go and meet up in their department and meet their tutor and all that, except apparently for archaeology postgraduates, who don't have to do anything until next Monday. I might go out later and look for free food (free is good when you keep having to double all the prices in your head to remind you how much you're paying) and set up my bank account, but for now I'm just trying to finish unpacking before I get dragged out again to do something else.

No comments: