Friday, March 6, 2009

Oh Well, It's Not Like I Was Using That Anyway

So, having gotten over my sinus issues, which I got as soon as I got over my stomach issues, I now have a cough. It's ugly and hacking and thoroughly unpleasant to listen to, which is why I'm glad I have my own room. Anyway, I developed it last night while I was sprawled in bed watching bad movies, and I kind of went "Oh hell," but it's not like I could go out at 10 pm and get something to take care of it.

So this morning, I got up and went about my business as usual (well, not as usual, really, because I spent all morning throwing failed drawings in the trash, but we won't go there right now because there's a very long story with embarrassing components) and went out around 11 pm to get lunch. And the girl at the counter asked me if I needed a carrier bag, and I said "No thank you," only actually, I didn't, because I had lost my voice. And I had no idea until that point because that was the first time I had spoken all day.

I'm not sure at what point my voice came back, because I didn't need to say anything further until about 5 pm when I went out to get dinner, and at that point I could speak.

And I'm telling this story because - this is fairly typical of a day when I don't have class. I don't talk except when I have to go out to get food, and usually the only thing I say then is "Thanks," when I get my change. And I don't have to speak much in class, either. In fact, I think the most I say all week is when I spend 10 minutes every Thursday presenting my seminar readings for that day. It's actually kind of alarming how much I don't need to speak anymore.

So, you know. The cough is annoying, but the accompanying loss of my voice? Not so upsetting.

No comments: