Saturday, November 22, 2008

Whine

My mouth is improved. Which is good, because I had the following conversation with a British friend:

Me: So, how hard is it to find a dentist around here?
Brit: *politely attempts to stifle incredulous laughter*
Me: I thought so.

So I have not been to see a dentist. My mouth issue has cleared up somewhat, which means that I was probably right and it's just some localized gingivitis or something, but now I'm worried that the gum is going to slough off or do something equally disgusting.

All of my midterms are in. Unfortunately, I volunteered to do the final presentation for one of my classes early, on Monday (I always do this). And now I don't wanna. It's for the class in which I learn how to beg for grant money, which means they don't care what I say, but they do care if I say "um" too many times or my Powerpoint looks terrible. It will not surprise you to learn that I'm a godawful public speaker, and I've accepted that I'm not going to do well. I've come to terms with it. I care about my grades (um, obviously) but the best I can hope for in this class is a pass. But, it was recently brought to my attention that the British find American accents even more amusing than we find theirs. I don't want to stand up there and give a long presentation in my funny accent!

My hair is thinning. It has actually been thinning since this summer, so this has been going on for quite some time now. It's beginning to get on my nerves, though. It's not even so much that my braids keep getting thinner and thinner and I keep having to readjust my updos for thinner hair. I don't think it is a health issue - a lot of people go through a shed in their early twenties, and I think this might be mine. (I'm in my mid-twenties, but whatever.) And my hair has merely go from "thick" to "average", so it's not like I'm dealing with bald patches or anything. But my god, the shedding! I have to pull clumps of hair out of the rug every week. It's disgusting. I'd like for it to stop. There's also the fact that, if it starts to grow back in, I will be right back to having a tapering braid. I just got done with that last year! Argh! I'd probably have to cut it up to shoulderlength and start all over again, and then I would be cranky and miserable because I'm vain about my hair. It's not the end of the world. But it is pretty damn annoying.

No comments: