Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Tattoo

So, in about two hours, I'm getting my first tattoo. I've wanted one for at least 6 years, but I either never had the money to get the one I designed, which I wanted to get first, or I didn't have a place to go to get it. But I remember deciding years ago that I was going to get it when I finished my BFA - which was nearly 3 years ago. This is getting ridiculous, I've just gotten my MA, I'll get one of the smaller ones I want. It's cheap enough that I can afford it, and the bigger one can wait until I have a job.

I never have just one reason for doing anything, because I am one of those people who sits down and thinks through every single pro and con before deciding to do something, so I can't tell you exactly why I have been so hellbent on getting tattooed. And this was a relatively impulsive decision for me - I mean, the tattoo I'm getting is one of the ones I've wanted for years (all my tattoo ideas are based on books that were important to me, but that is a ridiculously long post for when I don't have to leave in an hour and a half) but about a week ago I said, "You know, this is getting absurd, and I should just get one priced and see what I can do about that." And I did so.

The major reason, I guess, is that as time drags on and I can't find anywhere to work, I have to face the possibility that I can't, in fact, pull this off, and I will have to give everything up and leave England. The idea makes me sick, but I think it would help, just a little, if I got tattooed here before I get hauled back to the States. So there's that.

Obviously, pictures will go on the other blog - but only after it heals, because ew. So give that a week or so. I'm getting the Latin word "et" in insular script on my shoulder. Basically, I'm getting a trendy ampersand tattoo, even though that's not what I set out to do. Feel free to judge me.

1 comment:

snowbear said...

Haven’t heard from you in ages. Hope all’s well!

--snowbear