Friday, February 19, 2010

Ancient Egyptian Kitchen Curse

So, I'm back in England. And I did have other things to write about, but first I have to share this.

On Tuesday evening I went down to the kitchen to make dinner. I had leftover pasta sauce from Monday, so I was just boiling water to make more pasta. I hadn't bothered to put my hair up that day (jetlag is so much fun) and we have a gas stove. You see where this is going, right? I thought there was something floating in the pot and was leaning over to investigate with a spoon. "Hmm," I said to myself, "this is maybe not a good idea. I hope I don't set my hair on fire - oh bugger."

It's waist-length again now.

So the next day, I went down to make paella. I put my (shorter) hair up first, because I do learn. But then I was rummaging through the bottom cupboard where we keep all the pots, pans, and baking dishes, and a stack of them overbalanced and one of the glass baking pans fell six inches onto the linoleum and shattered into approximately six billion pieces. I don't even understand how that happened. I could understand if it cracked, yes, or maybe even broke into a few pieces, although it wasn't a particularly hard fall, but the darn thing exploded. Cleaning that up was certainly fun. And I've just been reheating the paella since then (it did turn out well) but I've almost finished it, and I'm afraid to cook anything else.

No comments: