Thursday, June 4, 2009

Music

I found something I don't like about England. (Well, aside from the fact that it doesn't contain NephthysWrath, obviously. That's a huge drawback right there.) I've said before that they are better at movies than America is. There is way more stuff in print, and although new movies can be very expensive (at current exchange rates, something like $22-$25 for a DVD that's just come out) the prices drop very quickly, and older movies sell for much less than they do in the States (on Amazon UK, nearly all the movies I've bought have been $5-$6 or less.) It's completely bizarre, and the opposite of what I expected, but I'm not about to argue with it.

However, they are terrible at music. Absolutely terrible. It may be that I haven't found the right places to look, but I cannot find CDs I want for the life of me. I realize buying CDs makes me a little ridiculous, but they monitor your internet usage here, and the last thing I need is to get kicked out of the university for stealing music. And buying MP3's is hugely problematic for various reasons, so if I'm going to pay money I want a hard copy. I recently decided that Black Lab is my new favorite band, and I want all their stuff. (I don't change favorite bands very often. I have had the same two for....oh my God, five years now.) Amazon UK, however, will only sell me their first album (which is bizarre all by itself, because that one's out of print.) Even their sellers don't have any of the others. I'm going to have to get them sent from America. I'm deeply irked by this, because I don't want to pay $15 for shipping and wait three weeks. It's not just this one band, either, it's just that this was the only one I was willing to pay money for (everything else can wait until I have an unmonitored internet connection). I looked for other stuff by American bands, just out of curiosity, and they generally either have nothing, or they have only one out-of-print CD. This is not okay. Internet radio is all well and good, but I can't take it for walks with me.

No comments: