Sunday, June 21, 2009

More random stuff

You know what doesn't seem right to me, somehow? The fact that, if I pay money for a DVD, I get subjected to obnoxious anti-piracy ads that I can't skip through, whereas if I download the DVD (by that I mean, "Skype home and ask my dad to download it and send it to me"), or borrow it from the library and rip it, I'm not subjected to this irritation. I wonder what exactly these ads are supposed to accomplish. Somehow I don't think encouraging me to stop buying movies altogether and start pirating exclusively is the desired effect, but that's what they're doing.

Now that I have nothing to think about besides my dissertation and, eventually, trying to find a temp job and a shitty apartment, I would like to get some drawing done. Unfortunately, I'm so drained that I can't seem to have ideas. I used to have this sketchbook that I made when I was working on that Cabinet of Curiosities project I did during my senior year. I was practicing using a proquill pen and just collecting random material I thought was cool-looking, and I couldn't flip through that thing without having an idea. It was full of drawings of interesting stuff - seashells, dancers, animals, bones, gaslamps, pieces of 19th century architecture, just anything that was interesting to me. I left that sketchbook in the States and I need it. I suppose this is an indication that I should start another one.

No comments: