Sunday, May 10, 2009

Geekery

Since my family's hobby is to annoy the living hell out of each other, I spend quite a lot of time trying to trick my dad into watching things he will hate. I consider this fair payback for the fact that since I let my dad use my computer in December, I seem to have Galaxina on my hard drive.

Anyway, this week, I thought I would attempt once again to talk him into watching House M.D., even though I know he would hate it, because there is very little other damage I can do from over here. And I thought I would do it by telling him that House is based on Sherlock Holmes, because my dad is completely obsessed with Holmes.

You know what you shouldn't do? You shouldn't engage with geeks on their own ground. Because he somehow hijacked my discussion and I got dragged away into a terrible world where everyone likes Basil Rathbone's Holmes but the guy who plays Watson is totally doing it wrong, and Dad didn't like Jeremy Brett's Holmes at first until he reread the books and realized he was actually playing the character very close to the way he was written, and the ones with Peter Cushing are just fantastic, and incidentally, why is Seven Percent Solution out of print, because that movie is probably the best one, and have I read the books with Joseph Bell, or the ones by David Pirie, I would really like those, and oh my God I'm sorry I ever said a word. It didn't stop until I found him a copy of Seven Percent Solution on Amazon UK (it is not out of print here, and sells for less than five pounds, as opposed to the $100 that they charge on Amazon US, because for some reason the British are better at DVDs, and that is part of the reason why I intend to stay here) and told him I was buying it and having it sent to him.

So yeah. Learn from my mistake and do not let someone else defeat you with geekery.

No comments: