Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Formal Offer of a Place

A grad program wants me. And I almost never found out about it, because they sent the acceptance letter in a depressingly tiny envelope, and they sent it three days after they mailed back my transcript with no note. I nearly tossed the envelope without opening it, but the address window was too big, and the words "formal offer of a place which has been reserved for you" were clearly visible under my address and my full name (yes, including middle name, damn those Brits) so I opened it to see how they could have incorporated a phrase like "formal offer of a place which has been reserved for you" into a rejection letter. Apparently, they will house me and feed me and love me for ever and ever for the cost of a single semester at my undergraduate school (even with the dollar being as weak as it is). I keep waiting to wake up, but I have fallen asleep twice since opening the letter, so apparently it isn't going to vanish in a puff of reality.

In retrospect, I suppose I should have stopped to wonder why they hand-addressed the envelope in which they mailed back my transcript.

No comments: